Exam Board: Edexcel    Duration: 2 years    Entry Requirements: Grade 5-5 in Combined Science, Grade 5 in GCSE English and Grade 5 in GCSE Mathematics.

Reasons to study BTEC Applied Science


Applied Science BTEC is a challenging and interesting qualification for students with an interest in science, particularly from a practical point of view. The course reflects the fact that it is Applied Science by focusing on practical scientific investigation and work-related assignments, rather than a broad range of scientific theory for its own sake.

The BTEC in Applied Science is intended as an Applied General qualification for post-16 learners who want to continue their education through applied learning and who aim to progress to higher education, and ultimately to employment in the applied science sector.

The advantage of a BTEC means you can check your thinking and understanding with your teachers as you go along, rather than being faced with having to learn and memorise a large body of scientific theory and knowledge and then having to apply it under exam conditions to solve problems you will not have seen before.

Course Outline


Unit 1 Principles and Applications of Science

This unit covers some of the key science concepts in biology, chemistry and physics.

Unit 2 Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques

Learners will be introduced to quantitative laboratory techniques, calibration, chromatography, calorimetry and laboratory safety, which are relevant to the chemical and life science industries.

Unit 3 Science Investigation Skills

Learners will cover the stages involved and the skills needed in planning a scientific investigation: how to record, interpret, draw scientific conclusions and evaluate.

Unit 8 Physiology of Human Body Systems

Learners will focus on the physiological make up of three human body systems (musculoskeletal, lymphatic and digestive), how the systems function and what occurs during dysfunction.

There is a significant aspect of practical work to the course developing those skills gained at GCSE, building
upon your existing skills in literacy, numeracy and information communication technology.

Assessment Outline


This is a new specification that incorporates three methods of assessment.

Each piece of assessed work will be awarded a pass, merit or distinction grade and these grades are cumulative, resulting in a final grade at the end of the course.

The single, Extended Certificate course consists of four units studied over two years. Two units are external exams which account for 58% of the overall grade. The other two units are coursework based and account for the remaining 42% of the overall grade.

Progression Routes and Career Paths


  • Laboratory Technician
  • Forensic Scientist
  • Biomedical Scientist
  • Environmental Scientist
  • Science Teacher
  • Quality Control Analyst
  • Research Assistant

The Romero’s Science Department


A committed team of expert teachers who share their love of their subject with passion.

Opportunities for enrichment including involvement in the Romero’s Medics Programme, which provides focussed support for those interested in a career in medicine.

A team of teachers who at GCSE have, year on year, delivered some of the strongest outcomes in the country.

First class, Science labs fully equipped with specialist equipment to complete the full range of experimental techniques.

Members of the BTEC delivery team have had extensive experience teaching BTEC Level 3 and understanding of Applied Science in a wider context.

Further Information


For more information or if you have any questions about the Applied Science BTEC course please contact:

Miss B Owen – Subject Leader for Science [email protected]